Wednesday 30 March 2011

In interview: Nadira V Persaud

Nadira V Persaud: 'If your skin doesn't feel like it needs it, don't do it!'


Nadira V Persaud: 'If your skin doesn't feel like it needs it, don't do it!'


I was lucky enough to sit down for a long chat with professional Makeup Artist, organic treatments enthusiast and all round lovely gal, Nadira V Persaud recently for a good gossip on all the best cosmetics in town. I left with a note pad full of great brands, her own beauty secrets and what she classes at her 'beautopia'. From products and treatments, minerals and mascaras, Nadira knows all there is to know about the cosmetics world and now you can too. Read on to find out her favourite makeup brands, London’s beauty hot-spots and trade secrets.

Nadira on organics: 
I think organic skincare is a real personal thing. There are some people who are just advocates and the only things that they will use are organic products, and have that completely organic lifestyle in which they literally live by the ‘organics rule book’. But for me, I feel if a product is organic, it’s a bit of a bonus, it’s not always a necessity. But it would definitely sway me towards making a new purchase!
As a makeup artist, I need to keep my mind quite broad on the products that I use, simply because they have a job to do and if they do that job well, I’m satisfied. I do a lot of research into the products or treatments I use on my clients and myself - I like to make sure that they are going to give me the results I want and are actually good for my skin too.
There is one place in London that I can honestly say is an absolute must for both shopping for organic products, and having organic treatments done, and that’s So Organic in Greenwich.
It’s a real beauty and relaxation hub. You know that everything is organic and natural and the best thing is all their products are categorised. If you just need something to perk up or nourish you skin, there’s a section just for that, with little notes, recommendations and tips for you from staff and customers.
I try to get my facials done there, I know they’re organic, I know they’re products I can trust and it’s the only place where I can switch off, stop asking questions and just enjoy the experience and fully relax!
Some places can have a bit of snobbery around organic products, but at So Organic, it’s just welcoming and cosy. Samantha Burlton, the founder of the brand and who has recently started bespoke organic treatments, has been such an inspiring person behind the whole revolution of organic lifestyles

I think she has broadened people’s minds and is helping them to branch out to all different types of treatments. From facials to waxing, right down to manicures, they even sell Orly nail colours which are proving very popular. So Organic is a one-stop-beauty-haven-shop. I really am a huge, huge fan of them!
I never feel bombarded by new products or ingredients that come on the market, but I do have some concerns. I fear I might be quite toxic with the amount of products that go on my skin and hair at this stage! I’m kind of fussy with certain kinds of aromas and smells that are in products. If they don’t smell good, I just can’t bare it, I feel like I’m choking.
I think I’ve just become a bit more selective. I want my experience when I’m making someone up and doing their hair to be quite pampering; I want them to enjoy it! So I don’t want them to be concerned about the products either, and it makes it a whole nicer experience if the products smell lovely and the texture is good, and it’s comfortable on their skin. I always ask people ‘how does that foundation feel?’, and I never want to hear ‘oh, it feels like I have loads of makeup on!’
You may have been layering up the makeup on their skin for a certain look for a shoot but you never want them to feel that way. I know I would hate it.
I know I’m known for being an advocate for organic and natural, but I would certainly never say I’m never going to use a brand because it isn’t organic or natural. The high street has got some amazing brands, and it’s just too exciting not to test them out. But, if you can get great performance with some added natural goodness, it just best all round.
Nadira on minerals:
I worry about the mineral makeup trend. So many brands have said ‘it has minerals’ and people just assume that it’s completely natural. The thing is, minerals have been in makeup ingredients for years, but when it comes to a product being 100 per cent minerals, it’s a whole different ball game. Only loose powders can be 100 per cent pure mineral with no hidden nasties or synthetic ingredients. You have to be so careful that what you buy is actually what you want.
For me, an exciting mineral brand is Bella Pierre, it has a fun approach to minerals. Their eyeshadows are highly pigmented such as the 9 Stacks and have ‘kind’ mascaras and eye liners so it’s a complete range.
Bella Pierre 9 Stack Eyeshadow pots
Another that I love is Lily Lolo, which I am a huge fan of. I just love the fact it’s a British brand and so conscious about sending a good message. It’s young and fresh and adorable.
Vikki Khan who started the brand has just done an amazing job. I just like the fact it’s a brand with a conscience and they haven’t yet developed a mascara because they haven’t come up with the perfect formula where they can say, ‘this is natural and a high performance product, this is what Lily Lolo is about.’
They have developed their lip glosses over the last few years and they are divine! They got it really right, they want to keep everything up to date and they realised that a lot of the other high street brands weren’t that fashion forward, and weren’t keeping up with trends; they just stuck to their natural tones and nude looks. Whereas young girls love to experiment with their makeup and Lily Lolo let’s them – they have a huge selection of colours and tones to suit every look. And not only that, it’s so affordable!


Nadira on pressure therapy:
I suffer from an underactive thyroid, called hypothyroidism, and you become quite anaemic, you lose quite a bit of hair and your lymph and adrenal glands don’t perform well. Basically, your whole metabolism goes to pot!
One thing that I found that really helps me and my condition is pressure therapy. You lie on a bed in a ‘body bag’ type suit, trousers, corset and sleeves covering you up and each part of the body is worked on separately starting with the arms.
The sleeves inflate and work up your body, you can feel the sensation of actually being deeply massaged, like a masseuse working up your body. For me, it has helped improve my circulation and got rid of some nasty cellulite. I think it would have some fantastic results for the slightly older woman. You know, when things start to sag a bit, as it boosts your circulation and blood flow. It helps get your sagging boobs back to your 20s and if you’ve had children it can even improve your pelvic floor! It’s just one of those treatments that I love having - it helps me with my condition and just keeps everything going. It’s definitely the unsung hero of the beauty industry.
There’s not been enough coverage of this, and I think one of the reasons is because for conditions like mine, it can take months, even years to diagnose the problem. For hypothyroidism, the average time it takes for a woman to say ‘oh, I’m not feeling quite right’ to when a doctor diagnoses it is almost eight years. Your symptoms get blamed on being tired and stressed, which so many women are. This treatment has been beyond spectacular for me. And there are only three places in London that do it.
I get it done by a woman called Sima from Pureness in Beauty based in the heart of Notting Hill Gate (for appointments call: 07723338011) and she has become a really good friend of mine. I consider her up there with Amanda Lacey and Emma Hardie for her talents and she has a huge client base. She started her own skincare range recently which is just going to be huge success.

Nadira on treatments:
Of course, organic products and treatments should not just end with your skincare. Your hair care products could be packed full of chemicals and synthetics, especially if you colour your hair regularly.
One place I found is Karine Jackson hair and beauty salon in Covent Garden, it’s the only place in London that does organic hair colour. They, not only have an amazing range for colouring, but some great hair treatments that I recently treated myself to as well....
Read the complete unabridged interview with Nadira V Persaud on TotallyLiving - there's plenty more expert secrets you haven't read yet! 

Nadira V Persaud Makeup ArtistNadira V Persaud is a leading Makeup Artist, with an impressive 16 years of beauty expertise, who has generated a high level of makeup and hair work in beauty and fashion editorial, TV, celebrity and advertising internationally. Recent clients include Wonderbra, Adidas, Marie Claire and Grazia. Nadira’s unique style has gained her recognition in hard to reach areas of the industry such as freelance beauty product developer/consultant, beauty contributor and makeup trainer in London and Dubai. Nadira also runs Nadira Make Up Mistress, a bespoke make up service to guide ladies through their looks for every occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment